Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas NDMP incremental backup weirdness

2004-01-22 09:19:43
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas NDMP incremental backup weirdness
From: Moshe.Linzer AT nsc DOT com (Moshe Linzer)
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 16:19:43 +0200
--=_alternative 004ECFABC2256E23_=

I just noticed a really weird thing about our incremental backups being
run from Veritas Netbackup DC 4.5 to our Netapp 960 (6.4.2P6).  I assume
this has been going on for a long time.  No matter if we select Incremental
Differential Backup on weekdays or Cumulative Differential Backup on weekends,
both seem to run a level 1 backup on the filer.  This
results in all changes since the last level 0 (Full) backup to be written,
which I interpret to be Cumulative.  Once in a while (on a random day of
the week), a real Incremental backup (level 2) will be performed.  This is
verified by examining the /etc/backup logs on the filer, which show the
level of dump being used.  Examining the amount of data being backed up
also shows a steady increase in the Incremental backups, indicating that
they are all backing up the same data from the last Full.  This looks like
a Veritas bug, and I have found no reference to it on the web.  If anyone
has encountered this, please advise!

Thanks,

Moshe

Moshe Linzer
IT Manager
National Semiconductor, Israel
Phone: 972-9-970-2247
Fax: 972-9-970-2001

--=_alternative 004ECFABC2256E23_=

our incremental backups being run from Veritas Netbackup DC 4.5 to our Netapp
960 (6.4.2P6). &nbsp;I assume this has been going on for a long time. &nbsp;No
matter if we select <i>Incremental Differential Backup</i> on weekdays or
<i>Cumulative Differential Backup</i> on weekends, both seem to run a level 1
backup on the filer. &nbsp;This results in all changes since the last level 0
(Full) backup to be written, which I interpret to be Cumulative. &nbsp;Once in
a while (on a random day of the week), a real Incremental backup (level 2) will
be performed. &nbsp;This is verified by examining the /etc/backup logs on the
filer, which show the level of dump being used. &nbsp;Examining the amount of
data being backed up also shows a steady increase in the Incremental backups,
indicating that they are all backing up the same data from the last Full.
&nbsp;This looks like a Veritas bug, and I have found no reference to it on the
web. &nbsp;If anyone has encountered this, please advise!</font>
Semiconductor, Israel<br>
Phone: 972-9-970-2247<br>
--=_alternative 004ECFABC2256E23_=--