Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Restore taking too long - SUMMARY

2004-01-14 14:23:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Restore taking too long - SUMMARY
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:23:33 -0500
....not sure if this has been suggested (I haven't read the entire thread) or
whether it would perform any better, but you could export the filesystems in
question via NFS and backup them up that way.

--Steve

On Wednesday 14 January 2004 02:15 pm, nickno AT discoverfinancial DOT com
wrote:
> Thanks to all who responded with an advice or useful information
>
>                Karen Schoenbauer
>                Jim Horalek
>                Dan Otto
>                Steven Bally
>                Mark Kilpatrick
>                adam
>                Rudy Nedved
>                Jeffrey Kennedy
>
> Question was
>
> Does anyone know how Veritas NetBackup 4.5 for NDMP can be implemented so
> that its restore runs fast. A restore of a single file from an NDMP backup
> is consistently taking nearly 3 hours to finish. Since the EMC Celerra Data
> Mover doesn't have the NetBackup software installed, the restore is
> initiated from a Master/Media server.
>
> Most helpful answer for my environment came from Karen Schoenbauer
>
> With NB 4.5FP3 we started to support DAR restores.  If the backup was
> created before NB 4.5 you cannot do a DAR restore. You must restore files
> for DAR to work.  EMC still requires each tape to be mounted for the
> restore but it should position into the tape to the file.  Check you
> bptm log to see if DAR is turned on for your restore.
>
> Nick H. No
> SSB Operations - Storage Lead
> (224) 405-1102 Office
> (224) 588-0888 Nextel

===================================

  Steven L. Sesar
  Senior Operating System Programmer/Analyst
  UNIX Application Services R101
  The MITRE Corporation
  202 Burlington Road - K101
  Bedford, MA 01730