Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP Restore taking too long

2004-01-14 10:37:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Restore taking too long
From: ern AT spinnakernet DOT com (Rudy Nedved)
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:37:26 -0500
If restore of a single NDMP is taking 3 hours then it is probably a Direct
Access Recovery (DAR) issue... The process is reading all the tapes to find the
data.

If I remember correctly, DAR works in NetBackup 4.5 FP3 or something. I don't
think the base NetBackup 4.5 has it on or something. In any case:

Possible problems:
- NetBackup does not support DAR or DAR has been disabled during the restore
request.
- When NetBackup was run, file history+DAR information was not recorded. You
need the DAR information from the backup in order for the restore to work.
- The target NDMP server for the restore process does not support DAR.
- The source NDMP "tape" server for the restore does not understand MOVER
windows and MOVER read operations (therefore does not support random seeks
to random tapes).

You should turn on verbosity level 5 and create the bptm and ndmp log files and
see what it says during a restore.... It may say no DAR information or no
fh_info information or it may give some other complaint related to DAR or
Direct Access Recover.

Cheers,
-Rudy