Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Replacing a tape drive help

2004-01-08 14:38:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Replacing a tape drive help
From: pspotts AT geisinger DOT edu (Paul Spotts)
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2004 14:38:21 -0500

--=_E3BD2CF8.4E2E0668

I am running NB 4.5 (win2k master and media servers). I am using SSO with =
a STK L700 with IBM LTO-2 drives. Last week I had a bad LTO-2 drive. =
Before the drive was replaced I used  veritas  Media and Device Management =
 to delete the drive from all media and san/media servers in veritas . =
Then I removed the drive as a device from  all media servers  using the =
windows Device Manager  ( not sure I had to do this). When the new drive =
was installed the win2k media and san/media servers could not discover the =
new drive. After rebooting a few of the media servers the drive appeared =
to those servers. But as the week went on the servers that were not =
rebooted started to get errors. Eventually all our media servers got =
messed up we needed to reinstall all the tape drives. My question is when =
replacing  a SSO drive do I need to use  windows Device Manager to remove =
it from all media servers. If so,shouldn't windows rediscover the new =
drive without a reboot?=20

Thanks,   =20

Paul Spotts
Server Management Group=20
(570)271-5180
pspotts AT geisinger DOT edu

--=_E3BD2CF8.4E2E0668

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2600.0" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Times New Roman; MARGIN-LEFT: =
2px">
<DIV>I am running&nbsp;NB 4.5 (win2k master and media servers). I am using =
SSO=20
with a STK L700 with IBM LTO-2 drives. Last week I had a bad LTO-2 =
drive.=20
Before&nbsp;the drive&nbsp;was replaced I used&nbsp; veritas&nbsp; =
<B>Media and=20
Device Management</B>&nbsp; to delete the drive&nbsp;from all media and=20
san/media servers in veritas .&nbsp;Then I&nbsp;removed the drive as a =
device=20
from&nbsp; all media servers&nbsp; using the windows <STRONG>Device=20
Manager</STRONG>&nbsp; ( not sure I had to do this). When the new drive =
was=20
installed the win2k media and san/media servers&nbsp;could not discover =
the new=20
drive. After rebooting&nbsp;a few of the media servers the drive appeared =
to=20
those servers. But as the&nbsp;week went on the servers that were not =
rebooted=20
started to get errors. Eventually&nbsp;all our media servers&nbsp;got =
messed up=20
we&nbsp;needed to reinstall all the tape drives. My question is when=20
replacing&nbsp; a SSO drive do I need to&nbsp;use&nbsp;&nbsp;windows=20
<STRONG>Device Manager</STRONG>&nbsp;to&nbsp;remove it from all media =
servers.=20
If so,shouldn't windows rediscover the new drive without a reboot? </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thanks, &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Paul Spotts<BR>Server Management Group <BR>(570)271-5180<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:pspotts AT geisinger DOT edu">pspotts AT geisinger DOT
edu</A></DIV></BODY=
></HTML>

--=_E3BD2CF8.4E2E0668--