Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re: Solaris Root Partition Restore

2004-01-07 15:01:33
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re: Solaris Root Partition Restore
From: bryer AT sfu DOT ca (Jeff Bryer)
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2004 12:01:33 -0800
James Wade:
>Has anyone ever tried restoring a root partition
>using Netbackup?

I've done restores of Solaris boot volumes before, but in a slightly
different manner from what you are trying.

I add a disk to our NB master (an E450 running NBU 3.4).  Layout the partitions
and mount the disk (/mnt).  Then using the X interface (there is a bug in the
version
of the java GUI we are running such that hard/soft links don't get restored
properly
regardless of the correct settings being chosen) do an alternate target restore
to /mnt
(renaming hard links but not soft links).  Do an installboot after the restore
has finished.
Pull the disk and install in the new machine and boot.

This has worked well for us and is fairly quick for our environment.  V880 and
other fibre
based disk systems are a bit more challenging with the WWN.

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (604) 291-4935