Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 DC on UNIX (Moving Image Catalog)

2003-12-16 00:33:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup 4.5 DC on UNIX (Moving Image Catalog)
From: adam AT tsatech DOT com (adam AT tsatech DOT com)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 23:33:21 -0600
Hi all,

We are running Netbackup 4.5 DataCenter with MP5.  Netbackup was installed
in /usr/openv/netbackup.

Our problem  is that the image catalog is growing too much and is filling up
the /usr file system.  Unfortunatelly we do not have the disk space necessary
to increase the size of the /usr logical volume.  We do however, have a logical
volume which has plenty of free space.  What we were trying to do is to see if
we can leave Netbackup where it is, but just move the catalogs to the other
file system.  This is what we had in mind:

cd /usr/openv/netbackup
cp -rp db /depots/
mv db db.orig
ln -s /depots/db db

We tried the above on our development box and everything seems to be fine.  We
have been able to browse the catalogs and searched for previously backed up
images. We have even deleted some files and restored them without any apparent
problems.

However, when we spoke to Veritas about doing what we did, they said it was not
as simple as that, that it was quite a complicated process and that Veritas
consultant was required to move catalogs.  They would not even tell me what
their process for moving the catalogs is.  I was told by the Veritas SE that
those procedures were Veritas Internal.

Does anyone know if that is true?  What would the implications be of doing what
we did?  Everything appears to be working just fine.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
-Adam

This mail sent through Toaster-Horde (http://qmailtoaster.clikka.com/)