Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Catalog backup failed; no media available

2003-12-10 10:42:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Catalog backup failed; no media available
From: Jason_Cordes/US/Enbridge AT enbridge-us DOT com (Jason_Cordes/US/Enbridge AT enbridge-us DOT com)
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:42:03 -0600
That may be what the manual says but that is not the behavior I see in my
installation. I have NBU4.5fp5 running on Win2k and for the catalog backup,
yes you need to manually assign tapes for that to run and those 1 or 2
tapes you assign are alway uses and reused for catalog backups until you
deassign them.

Vault is another story, it will take a tape from the scratch pool to vault
the catalog backup. Vault takes a tape from the scratch pool and moves it
to the Netbackup pool and does it's own catalog backup.

-jason

                    Joe Royer

                    <jroyer AT colltech DOT com>                To:     Jon
Walton <jonw AT n2h2 DOT com>
                    Sent by:                             cc:     "Donaldson,
Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com>,
                    veritas-bu-admin AT mailman DOT eng.        "'RAldinger AT
foxpitt DOT com'" <RAldinger AT foxpitt DOT com>,
                    auburn.edu                           veritas-bu AT
mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
                                                         Subject:     RE:
[Veritas-bu] Catalog backup failed; no media available

                    12/09/2003 11:45 PM

I disagree.  p.17 of Vault 4.5 SAG says:

Note:  NetBackup does not automatically move media to the catalog
backup pool from the scratch pool. You must monitor the media in this
pool for use. There must be a tape in the catalog volume pool before
the Vault session runs. If there are no available tapes in the catalog
volume pool, the session will fail.

And again on p.106 under Ensuring Available Media for Catalog Backups

Please correct me if I'm missing something.

--
D. Joe Royer II      Collective Technologies
CCNA, CISSP, VCP     http://www.colltech.com/