Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on HPUX11i, NB 4.5 Only Goes Up to 35GB Capacity

2003-12-09 23:42:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] DLT7000 on HPUX11i, NB 4.5 Only Goes Up to 35GB Capacity
From: nelcaps AT ameritech DOT net (Nelson T. Caparroso)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 23:42:19 -0500
We've been on test-mode the past seevral days and we notice
available_media reports FULL tapes at being filled to no more than 35GB
capacity even if we don't set the Policies to do compression and the
backup sets are highly compressible. Netbackup is using the device
entries in the form of /dev/rmt/c8t0d2BESTnb -- which is the bsd BEST
density device on HPUX systems... It supposedly offers compression
laready but an "lssf" or mt stat on the device file does not echo out a
status that will seem to indicate  has compression... I know that I
canmanually create a compression device file using "mksf -d stape
-c....." but isn't Netbackup on HPUX11i  set to automatically confiure
the best (compression) device entries for the OS?

ANyone running Netbackup 4.5 on HPUX and DLT7000 drives? Please could
you check what device entries you're using and whether you can go veyond
the 35GB native capcity?

Thanks!