Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Moving an Active Tape From One Robtic Library to Another

2003-12-09 08:53:26
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Moving an Active Tape From One Robtic Library to Another
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2003 08:53:26 -0500

----=_NextPart_ST_08_53_37_Tuesday_December_09_2003_13746

Hopefully someone has seen (or done this before)

Environment:

NBU 4.5 (FP3) for Solaris
(3) Sun E450 Servers (1-master, 2-media)
(2) STK L700 Robotic Libraries
(1) STK 9710 Robotic Library

We have an STK L700 library located at a remote site about 70 miles away. B=
ecause of some retention period issues, we removed some of the full tapes f=
rom this robot and replaced them with new scratch tapes and transported the=
 removed tapes back to the data center for long-term storage. Naturally, so=
meone wanted something restored from a tape that was formerly in the remote=
 robot and we thought, why not just put it in the local 9710 rather than dr=
ive 70 miles. The process on how to do this correctly is not very clear and=
 when we started the restore it was still looking for the tape to be in the=
 remote robot.

Anybody have a fool-proof, sure fire procedure that they want to share on h=
ow to get a scenario like this to work? I hate to think that these 200 tape=
s that we've relocated will have to be expired and imported into the altern=
ate library before we can restore from them or at the very least, we have t=
o drive 70 miles and reload them back into the original library.

Regards,

Dennis Dwyer
Tampa Electric Company

----=_NextPart_ST_08_53_37_Tuesday_December_09_2003_13746

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1276" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Batang; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>Hopefully someone has seen (or done this before)</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Environment:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>NBU 4.5 (FP3) for Solaris</DIV>
<DIV>(3) Sun E450 Servers (1-master, 2-media)</DIV>
<DIV>(2) STK L700 Robotic Libraries</DIV>
<DIV>(1) STK 9710 Robotic Library</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We have an STK L700 library located at a remote site about 70 miles aw=
ay.=20
Because of some retention period issues, we removed some of the full tapes =
from=20
this robot and replaced them with new scratch tapes and transported the rem=
oved=20
tapes back to the data center for long-term storage. Naturally, someone wan=
ted=20
something restored from a tape that was formerly in the remote robot and we=
=20
thought, why not just put it in the local 9710 rather than drive 70 miles. =
The=20
process on how to do this correctly is not very clear and when we started t=
he=20
restore it was still looking for the tape to be in the remote robot.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Anybody have a fool-proof, sure fire procedure that they want to share=
 on=20
how to get a scenario like this to work? I hate to think that these 200 tap=
es=20
that we've relocated will have to be expired and imported into the alternat=
e=20
library before we can restore from them or at the very least, we have to dr=
ive=20
70 miles and reload them back into the original library.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Any insight would be greatly appreciated.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis Dwyer</DIV>
<DIV>Tampa Electric Company</DIV></BODY></HTML>

----=_NextPart_ST_08_53_37_Tuesday_December_09_2003_13746--