Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RE: bparchive of Oracle Database archivelogs

2003-12-01 13:24:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RE: bparchive of Oracle Database archivelogs
From: mhickey AT glasshouse DOT com (Mark Hickey)
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 13:24:53 -0500
Richard,
   No. You can't use bparchive to backup and remove archive logs and
then expect NBU and RMAN to be able to restore them.

   NBU has no clue what is in the chunks of datastream that the Oracle
agent (via your local RMAN script) sends up to it. It just knows that it
is Oracle data because of the policy type.  In a restore scenario, RMAN
looks in the RMAN catalog to get information about the backup id that
contains the data it needs to restore/recover, then uses that to get
data from NBU.  If bparchive is used to delete the archive logs, then
RMAN has no information about what media id relates to the archive logs.

   You need to backup and delete the archive logs from the RMAN script
itself.  This lets RMAN record the data it needs to do the restore.  The
example scripts that come with the Oracle agent contain examples of the
commands to use to do this.

   If you have further questions about this, please contact me.  We have
done loads of Oracle backup work with NBU.

Mark Hickey
Senior Technical Consultant
Glasshouse Technologies, Inc.
www.glasshouse.com