Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bare metal restore

2003-11-24 16:26:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bare metal restore
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:26:07 -0500

----=_NextPart_ST_16_26_11_Monday_November_24_2003_9930

I have also been successful with the following Windows NT type restore:

Format the number of drives required for the bare metal restore of the comp=
lete system (such as c: & d:)

Format an additional small drive (such as e:)

Install the Windows OS and NBU client on the e: drive and boot from the e: =
drive

Restore the c: and d: drives from NBU

Reboot from the c: drive

Delete the e: drive and absorb that space back into one of the other drives=
=2E

Just so you'll know, this is the basic precept for Veritas BMR only BMR doe=
s all this for you automagically under the table. We have Veritas BMR and a=
re working now to deploy it, but I have done this manually with complete su=
ccess. I have never been successful in getting the in-place restore to work=
 when you do it over the top of the active OS.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

"Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it r=
ight

>>> "Jason Ahrens" <Jason.Ahrens AT telus DOT com> 11/24/2003 3:48:30 PM >>>
Here's the quick bmr rundown by OS type (if not using an actual BMR product=
):

Windows: Install OS and NBU client. Perform an in-place full restore overto=
p of OS. Reboot.

Unix: Get a system up and running with OS and NBU client. Have a second har=
d disk available. Full restore to second hard disk. Be sure to install any =
necessary boot blocks/boot loaders. Swap drive to 'primary' slot.

I've used the Unix procedure many times, and the Windows one a few.

Jason