Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup Oracle scripts and return values

2003-11-13 10:45:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup Oracle scripts and return values
From: ssesar AT mitre DOT org (Steven L. Sesar)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:45:12 +0000
Yeah, it's a pain. My solution was to artificially set exit values
within my RMAN code generation script (I use one script which will build
the RMAN scripts according to the policy, SID, type of backup, etc.) in
situations where the backup failed but the script returned an exit value
of 0. This forces NBU to accurately report back failures/successes.

Markham, Richard wrote:

>Has anyone dealt with the return values not carrying back to the parent
>shell script within "$?"
>Basically, I have a parent script which calls another script (given a
>certain condition) and
>this child script runs RMAN and afterwards does a RETURN_STATUS=$?.  The
>child script sees that RMAN
>failed (RETURN_STATUS > 0) so I then do a "exit $RETURN_STATUS".  At this
>point the parent script
>picks up where it left off and I do a RETURN_STATUS2=$? and exit
>$RETURN_STATUS2.  I'm using
>$RETURN_STATUS2 for now for troubleshooting purposes.  When I echo
>$RETURN_STATUS2 within the
>parent script, is shows "0", which explains why Netbackup thinks the backup
>was a success......

===================================

  Steven L. Sesar
  Senior Operating System Programmer/Analyst
  UNIX Application Services R101
  The MITRE Corporation
  202 Burlington Road - KS101
  Bedford, MA 01730