Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] netbackup Oracle scripts and return values

2003-11-13 15:35:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] netbackup Oracle scripts and return values
From: RLMarkham AT hafeleamericas DOT com (Markham, Richard)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:35:41 -0500
Has anyone dealt with the return values not carrying back to the parent
shell script within "$?"
Basically, I have a parent script which calls another script (given a
certain condition) and
this child script runs RMAN and afterwards does a RETURN_STATUS=$?.  The
child script sees that RMAN
failed (RETURN_STATUS > 0) so I then do a "exit $RETURN_STATUS".  At this
point the parent script
picks up where it left off and I do a RETURN_STATUS2=$? and exit
$RETURN_STATUS2.  I'm using
$RETURN_STATUS2 for now for troubleshooting purposes.  When I echo
$RETURN_STATUS2 within the
parent script, is shows "0", which explains why Netbackup thinks the backup
was a success......