Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] switch primary backup with duplicate tape

2003-11-13 11:58:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] switch primary backup with duplicate tape
From: Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com (Donaldson, Mark)
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 09:58:11 -0700
You don't have to expire the primary tape to switch.

The primary copy is, by definition, the copy that is when a restore job is
requested.  By default it is Copy number 1.  If you create a duplicate tape,
that new copy only becomes a primary restore copy under two conditions:

1. The original primary copy (copy number 1) is expired

..or..

2. You manually declare the duplicate to be the primary copy.  In v3.4, this
was done with the bpduplicate command, in v4.5 it's done with the
bpchangeprimary or the bpduplicate commands.

v3.4

      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpduplicate -npc new_primary_copy
           -backupid backup_id [-client name]
v4.5
      /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpduplicate -npc new_primary_copy
           -backupid backup_id [-local] [-client name]
..or..

     /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpchangeprimary
          -copy number | -pool volume_pool | -group  volume_group
          [-id backup_id]
          [-M master_server]

     /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpchangeprimary
          -copy number | -pool volume_pool | -group volume_group
          [-sl schedule_name] [-pn policy_name]
          [-st schedule_type] [-pt policy_type]
          [-cl client_name]
          [-kw keyword]
          [-sd mm/dd/yyyy [HH:MM:SS]] [-ed mm/dd/yyyy [HH:MM:SS]]
          [-M master_server]

HTH - Mark