Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] slow ndmp backup

2003-11-12 11:04:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] slow ndmp backup
From: william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com (william.d.brown AT gsk DOT com)
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 16:04:12 +0000
I suggest you run NCVU and see if it comes up with any problems with you
network settings.   We found we were running out of sockets, I think.
There are papers on the internet on setting up the 100Mb interfaces on the
server - depends on your server of course - but I'm sure I've seen one for
the Sun.  Often they say make sure you lock the interface at 100Mbs FDX.

You can try 3-way within the Celerra if you have multiple Data Movers.  I
found it very slow.

Certainly the remote NDMP backup will be slower than NDMP backup direct
off the Celerra, which also is slow-ish.    I can get the stated rate
(15MB/s for LTO Gen 1) if I test with synthetic data, nice big 10MB files,
non-compressible data.   But real world files are about 7-8MB/s for full
backups, and much less for incrementals.   So it depends on your files.

Overall I'd recommend you use NDMP backup.

It is said that a future version of DART will address this, and will be
nearer a 'normal' server.

William D L Brown