Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Peculiar slowdown in Veritas netbackup.

2003-11-07 21:39:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Peculiar slowdown in Veritas netbackup.
From: len.boyle AT sas DOT com (len boyle)
Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:39:21 -0500
Hi

I assume that you are saying that a given backup runs much faster or slower
at different times.

I also assume that you are talking about dlt tape drives.

One thing that can cause a difference is speeds is a marginal tape drive or
marginal tapes.
The dlt drive will retry failing i/o and can work after many retrys, and the
backup software will not see an error.  You may get the cleaning light
turned on. Maybe not.

Your ce can dump the error logs stored in the drive, which includes soft
errors.

len