Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Utilities to operate the Tape library?

2003-10-28 12:16:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Utilities to operate the Tape library?
From: Daniel Denes <Daniel.Denes AT bg-sys DOT de> (Daniel Denes)
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 18:16:05 +0100
Hello List,

we are using netbackup 3.1.1 on a Sun E450 with Solaris 2.5.1,
operating a Sun TL 4/1800.

In the course of a disaster recovery test we figured out that two of
our drives are writing faulty data (without giving out any error
messages though!). We got them replaced and all should work fine now,
so i have time to reflect the stuff we used to analyze the problem and
i noticed that we have no idea as to how to control where a specific
tape is being mounted; i.e. i can use tpreq to get the tape i want,
but how to control in which of the drives 0-3 it is going to be
loaded? The only way i could think of was by "DOWN"'ing the other
drives but maybe (or rather, most likely) one of you guys knows a more
elegant way.

It is probably a very similar problem to move tapes within the
library. As we change tapes once a week and usualyl there are like
25-30 tapes to be changed, we cannot use the slow load port; we rather
open the front door and pick out the tapes that are full by hand. This
is rather inconvenient if the tapes are located in the more backward
areas of the library so i was wondering if ther is a commandline
utility that will allow me to relocate the tapes within the library,
possibly using the load port as stack or so.

Sorry if this question is overly easy or off topic, i would appreciate
any pointers towards where to find the information.

Regards,

Daniel

--
mailto:Daniel.Denes AT bg-sys DOT de