Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] On Solaris, back to back tar

2003-10-15 00:07:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] On Solaris, back to back tar
From: dritschel62 AT yahoo DOT com (Douglas Ritschel)
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 21:07:53 -0700 (PDT)
On Solaris8, I used the following command to copy the
contents of one filesystem to another.

cd /filesystem1
tar cf - . | ( cd /filesystem2 && tar xpfB - )

Is there any way to reliably verify that the
destination filesystem contains everything from the
original. There are thousands of files.

I tried "du -dsk", but the number of bytes are not the
same. I assume it is because it is writing more
efficiently to the destination filesystem (not making
as many fragments).

I tried dircmp, but many of the file names and paths
have spaces in them and dircmp doesn't't seem to
handle it.