Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup question

2003-10-09 18:35:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Veritas NetBackup question
From: apearce AT kforce DOT com (Pearce, Andrew W.)
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 18:35:10 -0400
Use vnetd to backup through your firewall.  You may also want to look at
vopie (It makes your security team a bit happier about punching holes in the
firewall.  There is also an encryption add-on that you can get to encrypt
data while on the wire, but I can't tell you if it's any good).  I'm using
both vopie and vnetd with no issues.  There are some caveats to complete
restores of vopie enabled clients, but it's not that bad.  If you look up
vnetd in the Admin Guide you will get a good picture of what ports you need
to open each what direction - inbound and outbound.

Your security policies will really dictate your requirements.  If the
clients are in a DMZ, bastion hosts, internet facing, or all of the above,
you may just want to attach local tape drives and look at a different
solution that doesn't go over the network at all (Backup Exec...)

I can't say much about your other 2 questions though.

Andrew