Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Question on NBU scheduler....

2003-09-29 07:23:58
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Question on NBU scheduler....
From: crhea AT mayo DOT edu (Cris Rhea)
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 06:23:58 -0500 (CDT)
In my configuration, I'm backing up 50-60 clients over the network
to a single master/media server with 8 silo-attached tape drives.

We do full backups over the weekend and incrementals M-F.

Obviously, with this many clients and their growth, I'm concerned that
I won't be able to perform full backups in the Sat-Sun backup window.

Very recently, I've upgraded from NB 3.2 to NB 4.5(FP3) and I noticed that
the scheduler does NOT keep the tape drives busy- I checked on Saturday
and it appeared that several backups had been completed (and one
still running), but no others were pending. It appears that I had 7 tape
drives idle for 12+ hours on Saturday.   Sunday rolled around and
the rest of the backups did seem to get scheduled...

What gives?  I saw a release note in NB3.4 where a scheduler bug matching
these symptoms was fixed, so I ASSUMED it would STILL be fixed in 4.5.
Is there some configuration setting I've missed, or is something else
going on?

<SOAP BOX>
As a long-time Unix customer of NBU, and someone who just recently upgraded
from 3.2 to 4.5, I must say that I ABSOLUTELY HATE the Java-based interfaces!

For me, the Java interface is 10 steps back from the old X interface.

I have a 256Kb connection from my home to work and the Java interfaces
are worthless.  Reminds me of trying to use X across a 28.8 dial-up
connection.
</SOAP BOX>

Thanks!

--- Cris

----
  Cristopher J. Rhea                      Mayo Foundation
  Research Computing Facility              Pavilion 2-25
  crhea AT Mayo DOT EDU                        Rochester, MN 55905
  Fax: (507) 266-4486                     (507) 284-0587