Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] New Veritas installation sizing

2003-09-26 12:57:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] New Veritas installation sizing
From: David_Cornely AT intuit DOT com (Cornely, David)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 09:57:07 -0700
Steve,

If you're running with HP systems I can tell you right now Sun can't come
close to competing with them in regards to I/O architecture and performance.
Each of the 10 PCI slots on the back of the N Class server is it's own bus,
while there are only 4 buses in total for a 280r.

If your master server is going to just be a master server and not a media
server then it doesn't need to be that beefy.  A 280r would do the trick as
a master server in your environment.  I would then take the N Class server
and make it the media server and discard the R class servers.  The N Class
server will blow away just about any sun server when it comes to I/O and
that is what you need for an effective media server.  Just put 2 drives per
slot and you'll be set.

Are you having performance problems right now?  If so, chances are it's
because of the R class servers.  As near as I can tell they're only entry
class servers, probably not designed to do what you need them to do as media
servers.  More details would help...

Ultimately you'd want to calculate how much data you back up in a given time
period and based on bus speed and available bandwidth calculate if your
media server(s) can handle it.

-Dave