Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Importing to another Netbackup site.

2003-09-26 05:57:01
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Importing to another Netbackup site.
From: paul AT gzb.co DOT uk (Paul Rowlands)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:57:01 +0100
--Apple-Mail-2-363675679

Hi
=A0
This is my first posting here, and I could use a little help...
=A0
We need to be able to pull a set of backup tapes from one site, ship=20
them to another site and recover the data.
=A0
Both sites are running independent installations of Netbackup 3.4 on=20
HP-UX 11, but they are not in the same business area (in fact they are=20=

not run by the same companies), so we can't interface the Netbackup=20
installations.
=A0
We know that we can import the backup images using the 3-phase=20
procedure in the DataCenter Sys Admin Guide (scan tapes, select &=20
import catalog info, select & recover data).We've done=A0it, but the=20
problem is=A0that it takes a long time (eg. 2 days for a set of 5=20
Ultriums), and we might need to do it as frequently as weekly(!).
=A0
Thus I'm looking for a way of speeding up the process.
=A0
Would it be possible to use an approach based on backing up the=20
catalogs (/usr/openv/netbackup/db & .../volmgr/database)=A0from the=20
source site and loading them on the target site?
=A0
As a further complication, we don't really want to change the first=20
site, so I'm thinking of perhaps not even using Netbackup to save/load=20=

the catalogs to/from tape (eg.using=A0the HP-UX utility fbackupto backup=20=

to DDS-4 tape).
=A0
Any thoughts/help?
=A0
thanks,
Paul

--Apple-Mail-2-363675679

=A0

here, and I could use a little help...</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

set of backup tapes from one site, ship them to another site and
recover the data.</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

independent installations of Netbackup 3.4 on HP-UX 11, but they are
not in the same business area (in fact they are not run by the same
companies), so we can't interface the Netbackup =
installations.</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

the backup images using the 3-phase procedure in the DataCenter Sys
Admin Guide (scan tapes, select & import catalog info, select &
recover data).We've done=A0it, but the problem is=A0that it takes a long
time (eg. 2 days for a set of 5 Ultriums), and we might need to do it
as frequently as weekly(!).</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

speeding up the process.</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

an approach based on backing up the catalogs (/usr/openv/netbackup/db
& .../volmgr/database)=A0from the source site and loading them on the
target site?</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

don't really want to change the first site, so I'm thinking of perhaps
not even using Netbackup to save/load the catalogs to/from tape
(eg.using=A0the HP-UX utility fbackupto backup to DDS-4 =
tape).</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0

thoughts/help?</smaller></fontfamily>

=A0