Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Remote Site Backups

2003-09-21 09:22:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Remote Site Backups
From: charles.hart AT medtronic DOT com (Hart, Charles)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 08:22:59 -0500
We are in a situation where we have to provide a backup solution for our
Asia/PAC locations.  Essentially there will be one larger central; site so to
speak then multiple (10-30) sites with 100-200GB per location.  We have looked
at Veritas Netbackup, but fulls over 61-256K lines would be impossible, so
Veritas's solutions is Volume Replicator?  Great idea, but @ 64-128K lines the
first full sync would take approx 4000 hours.

We also have looked at many replication products, but all lacking a "Global
Management" feature, other than EMC's On course but that's quite a pricey
solution.  While we manage the same remote backups in the US using Tivoli
Storage manager, we are being told the Veritas is our strategic direction
regardless of technical limitations.

If anyone could offer what their current solution is that would be great.
Single Local tape drives / small tabletop libraries and NBU installs are not an
option for the sake of cost and lack of tape management.

Thanks in advance!!!!!

Charles Hart