Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] will multiplexing effect restore time

2003-09-19 10:52:20
Subject: [Veritas-bu] will multiplexing effect restore time
From: scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com (scott.kendall AT abbott DOT com)
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2003 09:52:20 -0500
--=_alternative 0051BAAE86256DA6_=

two comments here...

1.) I don't think you'll see much of a difference in restoring a single or
small number of files when using a high MPX setting, but for 100s of files
or an entire system, you should see a difference (in theory).  If you have
some other bottleneck, though, like the disk you're writing to or the
network speed, pulling from the tape faster or slower isn't going to be
noticable.  In fact, if you have a bottleneck somewhere else, using MPX
and having the data spread across more of the tape (essentially reading it
slower) may actually keep the drive from rewinding a lot during the
restore, which could actually help performance.

2.) if you're taking a special backup for testing during the day, from an
unused media server or with a short retention that doesn't get used on any
other active jobs, even though you have a high MPX value set, it's not
going to be able to MPX with anything else and it's going to be the same
as having MPX at 1.

- Scott

"Mark T Wragge" <storage AT ttt DOT ie>
Sent by: veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
09/19/2003 08:23 AM
Please respond to "Mark T Wragge"