Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Separate backup network?

2003-09-18 11:11:46
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Separate backup network?
From: JohnstoC AT Aegiscomgroup DOT com (Johnston, Christopher)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 10:11:46 -0500
Yes, Each one of our Datacenters has it's own Gigabit backup highway. Every
one of our servers is multihomed with a production 10/100 NIC and a Gigbit
NIC for the backup highway.

Since each site backs up about a terabyte to 2 terabytes every 24 hours,
sending this across a production LAN is digital suicide.

Some important notes:
= All servers have two entries in DNS under "Server" and "Server-bk" where
each name points to the respective NIC ip.
= All servers have a persistent routes set up so that traffic destined for
the backup subnet is forced to use the backup NIC.
= The improvement in data traffic and in backup speed was significant.  Some
backups went from 4-5 hours down to 30 mins.

While it can be costly upfront for the equipment, the savings that you gain
on the backend are very measureable especially if you are in a speed
sensitive environment.

=c=