Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restart of failed filesystem only, not the entir e class

2003-09-10 09:03:40
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restart of failed filesystem only, not the entir e class
From: WTSmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 09:03:40 -0400
Kumer Carol-ECK005 replied, in part:

> I really appreciate your reply.
> The problem I have is that my backup windows are small, so the failed ones
> sometimes don't get requeued.  I have to re-start them manually when I have
> available resources.
> What I have been doing is re-starting the policy and then killing the backups
> of the filesystems that had succeeded.  This is a pain since sometimes there
> are 20 or more.  I just know there has to be an easier way.

Interesting problem ... and maybe not so simple.

What do you think of a little scripting?  Using command line NBU
utilities perhaps you could build a new (temporary) policy just for the
failing file system, kick off an appropriate "manual" backup, and delete
the temp policy.

I'm a little curious ... what is causing single file system backups to
fail ... anything in particular?  Sometimes the easiest way to correct a
failure is to avoid it in the first place.

cheers, wayne