Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] One NetApp filer, one tape drive

2003-09-02 22:21:59
Subject: [Veritas-bu] One NetApp filer, one tape drive
From: Len.Boyle AT sas DOT com (Len Boyle)
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:21:59 -0400
Hello Barry

You may be in deep trouble here.

If you are at the 4.5 fp3 or higher level, you can use the new ndmpmover daemon
to drive a tape drive attached to a master/media server as a ndmp drive.

If I read the manuel correctly (note has to be at the fp3 or higher ndmp book)
this drive can only be used as an ndmp device.

I wonder if one can stop the ndmpmover daemon and then use the drive as an
non-ndmp drive? I believe that this would require two storage unit defined. And
one would have to be set inactive at all times.

Another possible solution. If this is a cifs only netapp, then you can mount
the netapp shares on the w2k master and back them up.

Let us know how it works out.

len