Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] SAP_DB backups.

2003-08-29 05:12:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] SAP_DB backups.
From: TsiamisP AT unisystems DOT gr (Tsiamis, Panagiotis)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 12:12:45 +0300
Hi Johan,
I don't think Legato Networker can backup a SAP (or any) database straight
to tape without the appropriate add-on module (SQL_Server, or the
SAP_on_Oracle ones). That was the case with Networker 6.1.3 I've worked with
and I wouldn't think they changed that in version 7.
The thing with Legato (unlike Veritas) is that they provide 60-day trial
keys for all their products in the supplied media kit, so I would assume
that your client is probably using a module for they SAP_DB in evaluation
mode.

The advantage of using an add-on module - assuming they have their SAP on MS
SQL Server (and this stands true for both Networker and NetBackup) - is that
they talk straight to the SQL Server using the Virtual Device Interface
(VDI) API, so it's not really a surprise that Legato is backing up their
databases faster (although the times differences as you describe them are
really amazing).
I would think that  similar principles are used with Oracle or other
databases.

For a proper evaluation you would have to try backing up using the same
method (i.e. dumping the DBs on disk and then back them up - assuming you
cannot get a key for the NetBackup add-on module) and then compare the
results.

Hope this helps

Regards,

Panos