Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] LTO drive won't run at full speed

2003-08-14 17:43:07
Subject: [Veritas-bu] LTO drive won't run at full speed
From: Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA (Karl.Rossing AT Federated DOT CA)
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 16:43:07 -0500
--=_alternative 00774D9086256D82_=

veritas-bu-admin AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu wrote on 08/14/2003 04:19:53 PM:

> I believe this has been mentioned here before, and I've experienced this

> myself.  The LTO drives on our backup system are SCSI connected.  On at
> least two occasions, the scsi bus has experienced some kind of
> disruption to cause it to slow down to SE speeds.  When I could normally

> get 20+ MB/sec, the affected drive would not write at speeds above 5
> MB/sec.  Rebooting the server fixed the problem.  If this happens
> frequently, then it's likely a hardware fault.  I was able to confirm
> the slowdown by checking the system logs or dmesg.  It would clearly
> show the scsi bus error, the devices affected, and would give the exact
> speed or mode that the card was now operating.
>
> -Jon

Same thing happend with our exabyte mammoth drives.

Reboot fixed the problem.

Karl
--=_alternative 00774D9086256D82_=

08/14/2003
04:19:53 PM:<br>
&gt; I believe this has been mentioned here before, and I've experienced
this <br>
&gt; myself. &nbsp;The LTO drives on our backup system are SCSI connected.
&nbsp;On at <br>
&gt; least two occasions, the scsi bus has experienced some kind of &nbsp;<br>
&gt; disruption to cause it to slow down to SE speeds. &nbsp;When I could
normally <br>
&gt; get 20+ MB/sec, the affected drive would not write at speeds above
5 <br>
&gt; MB/sec. &nbsp;Rebooting the server fixed the problem. &nbsp;If this
happens <br>
&gt; frequently, then it's likely a hardware fault. &nbsp;I was able to
confirm <br>
&gt; the slowdown by checking the system logs or dmesg. &nbsp;It would
clearly <br>
&gt; show the scsi bus error, the devices affected, and would give the
exact <br>
&gt; speed or mode that the card was now operating.<br>
&gt; <br>
&gt; -Jon<br>
</tt></font>
drives.</tt></font>