Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Robtest script

2003-08-04 16:29:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Robtest script
From: Mike.Wilkinson AT pegs DOT com (Wilkinson, Mike)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 13:29:02 -0700
Robtest is a bad utility to use for routine tape manipulation in robots.
Whenever you are in the utility you are taking exclusive control of robotic
control, which prevents netbackup from doing other things with the robot
arm. If you stay in robtest for a long time, then all your backups will
eventually come to a standstill.

Another problem with robtest is that when you move tapes around with robtest
it does not update the location the tapes in volume manager (which netbackup
uses for media management.) If you have to move tapes using robtest, make
sure you manually update the inventory via the media manager GUI or the
"vmupdate" command immediately afterwards getting out of robtest. Otherwise
when netbackup goes to load a tape, it will go looking for the tape in the
wrong place, cause all kinds of havoc.

A better solution to doing external manual backups like ufsdumps is to
load/unload and mount the tape via volume manager directly using the tpreq
and tpunmount commands. Your netbackup documentation should give you
examples on how to script this. This way netbackup can continue to do its
own work without getting confused.

I strongly recommend staying away from robtest for everything except
diagnostic and emergency uses - it's just too dangerous. If you must use it,
make sure you run a "vmupdate" after every manipulation.

- MW