Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] WHat is the method and impact of changing volume groups?

2003-07-08 09:11:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] WHat is the method and impact of changing volume groups?
From: david.chapa AT adic DOT com (David Chapa)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 06:11:39 -0700
James:

The impact of "moving" your volume groups around to different names,
etc. will have little or no impact on your NetBackup installation
functionally speaking....

<<UNLESS>>

You are running VERITAS Vault.  VERITAS Vault depends on the volume
groups along with criteria of the media to track the location/condition
of the media.

Volume Groups independent of Vault are merely used for administrative
purposes.  The only criteria for media to be the member of a Volume
group is that they all must share the same residence.  For example,
volume group ONSITE may have 30 tapes that have just been returned from
my offsite vendor, but they are not yet loaded into my tape library and
as such their residence would be Standalone (or NONE, NON-ROBOTIC, etc.)
If I chose to move only one of those 30 into the library it's volume
group would have to change because it no longer shared the residence of
the remaining 29.

You are right; the use of volume groups can greatly increase the
usability of the product.  For example if you are using volume groups to
track the location of the media and a restore is requesting a piece of
media that is not resident in the tape library it will generate a
pending request.  You will be able to use your device monitor or cli
equivalent (vmoprcmd -d pr) to view the pending requests to see what
volume group this tape is a member of.

VOLGRP         LOCATION
OFFSITE        Arcus
CABINET        Onsite - Tape cab
ONSITE         Onsite from Arcus not inventoried to cabinet

I hope that helps