Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] IDR for Win2k SP3

2003-06-25 08:08:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] IDR for Win2k SP3
From: GRABBEB AT dominos DOT com (Bob Grabbe)
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 08:08:45 -0400
I'd like to see it. I tried the idr with Win2k once and gave it up as
impossible. Might be worth trying again though.
Bob Grabbe
Dominos Pizza LLC

grabbeb AT dominos DOT com

>>> "Spearman, David" <spe08 AT co.henrico.va DOT us> 6/25/03 7:47:07 AM >>>
Simon,

Our group has studied the use of IDR extensively. Originally on the
3.4
Data Center platform and now 4.5_4. We use a W2K master/media
connected
to an L700. I will try to stay relatively brief.

3.4 IDR

As stated the CD option is only for NT4 systems. W2K systems are
floppy
only. The major caveat in W2K floppies is that the disk system driver
must have resided on the W2K installation CD (as in no service packs)
otherwise you will have to load the driver for your disk system
manually. In the end not much different than loading from scratch and
restoring over. It does work fine with older systems.

4.5

We still have an outstanding call in with Veritas on 4.5 CD based IDR.
As it turns out we were finding a lot of problems that they didn't
even
realize existed. The Veritas stand however is that IDR is an add on
product, not the core. I can't say that I disagree with them since IDR
is not essential for recovery. While W2K CD based IDR is supported it
is
shall we say "buggy". (I will not go into how bad it can get with
really
complicated systems like the ES7000) I created a document that goes
over
how to accomplish a w2k cd based IDR but it is lengthy. If any one
really wants it I can make it available.

David Spearman
County of Henrico, Va.