Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Restore - Help

2003-06-16 15:29:15
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Restore - Help
From: dfdwyer AT tecoenergy DOT com (Dennis Dwyer)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 15:29:15 -0400

----=_NextPart_ST_15_29_19_Monday_June_16_2003_2441

Katherine,

It is my experience that if a backup does not run to successful completion =
(Status 0 or 1) all the data that was transferred to the tape is not saved.=
 I hear that within a new release or possibly a Feature Pack, that may no l=
onger be true but one of the folks that are in the know on that will have t=
o respond (I believe they're calling it checkpointing). I've always taken i=
ssue with the fact that it didn't keep what was done up through the failure=
=2E Especially, since I have some backups that might run 30-hours and fail =
in the 28th hour. I've been working with this product for more than 4 years=
 now and have not ever found a way to get to that data (mainly because NBU =
does not catalog the partial image). Once the backup fails, that tape is el=
igible to be written over again so the odds of getting to the data before t=
hen are not good.

If anybody else has a different, more positive experience I think we'd all =
like to hear it.

Regards,
Dennis

Dennis F. Dwyer
Manager, Systems Software
Tampa Electric Company

(813) 225-5181  - Voice
(813) 275-3599  - FAX

Visit our corporate website at www.tecoenergy.com

The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"
Translation: Just because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it r=
ight

>>> Katherine Cerqueira <kcerqueira AT team.look DOT ca> 06/16/2003 2:49:10 PM

Hi,

A backup was done but someone canceled it before it was finished.  It
managed to backup about 25gb before the job was canceled.  However, a manua=
backup was then followed and done to completion.  When I try to do a
restore, it only shows the data of the completed backup.  Nothing is
cataloged regarding the first canceled job. Is there anyway to restore the
25gb of backup that was backed up off the first canceled job.  Wouldn't the
data still be on the tape?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Katherine Cerqueira

----=_NextPart_ST_15_29_19_Monday_June_16_2003_2441

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4926.2500" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma; MARGIN-LEFT: 2px">
<DIV>Katherine,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>It is my experience that if a backup does not run to successful comple=
tion=20
(Status 0 or 1) all the data that was transferred to the tape is not saved.=
 I=20
hear that within a new release or possibly a Feature Pack, that may no long=
er be=20
true but one of the folks that are in the know on that will have to respond=
 (I=20
believe they're calling it checkpointing). I've always taken issue with the=
 fact=20
that it didn't keep what was done up through the failure. Especially, since=
 I=20
have some backups that might run 30-hours and fail in the 28th hour. I've b=
een=20
working with this product for more than 4 years now and have not ever found=
 a=20
way to get to that data (mainly because NBU does not catalog the partial im=
age).=20
Once the backup fails, that tape is eligible to be written over again so th=
e=20
odds of getting to the data before then are not good.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If anybody else has a different, more positive experience I think we'd=
 all=20
like to hear it.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Regards,</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dennis F. Dwyer<BR>Manager, Systems Software<BR>Tampa Electric=20
Company</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>(813) 225-5181&nbsp; - Voice<BR>(813) 275-3599&nbsp; - FAX</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Visit our corporate website at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.tecoenergy.com";>www.tecoenergy.com</A></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The Colonel Says: "Time is not a test of the truth"<BR>Translation: Ju=
st=20
because you've always done it that way, doesn't make it=20
right<BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; Katherine Cerqueira &lt;kcerqueira AT team.look DOT
ca&g=
t;=20
06/16/2003 2:49:10 PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>Hi,<BR><BR>A backup was done but some=
one=20
canceled it before it was finished.&nbsp; It<BR>managed to backup about 25g=
b=20
before the job was canceled.&nbsp; However, a manual<BR>backup was then fol=
lowed=20
and done to completion.&nbsp; When I try to do a<BR>restore, it only shows =
the=20
data of the completed backup.&nbsp; Nothing is<BR>cataloged regarding the f=
irst=20
canceled job. Is there anyway to restore the<BR>25gb of backup that was bac=
ked=20
up off the first canceled job.&nbsp; Wouldn't the<BR>data still be on the
tape?<BR><BR>Thanks for any help you can offer.<BR><BR>Katherine=20
itas-bu=20
maillist&nbsp; -&nbsp; Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu";>http://m=
ailman.eng.auburn.edu/mailman/listinfo/veritas-bu</A><BR><BR></DIV></BODY><=
/HTML>

----=_NextPart_ST_15_29_19_Monday_June_16_2003_2441--