Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Mix of sdlt220 and sdlt320 and scratch pool problem

2003-06-16 14:26:47
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Mix of sdlt220 and sdlt320 and scratch pool problem
From: stephen.j.darragh AT baesystems DOT com (Darragh, Stephen J)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 14:26:47 -0400
Hello,

I am considering the following configuration....

The goal is to use the 4 sdlt320 drives dedicated to ERP which gives us more
capacity and speed.
 I believe that if I just leave every drive the same device type, some jobs
will go to the sdlt220 and some jobs will go to the sdlt320.
I could have problems with restores if it tries to restore a 320 tape using
a 220 drive.

Storage Unit "ERP" with 4 sdlt320 drives using dlt cartridge 2 for the drive
type

Storage Unix "Public" with 3 sdlt220 drives using dlt cartridge 3 for the
drive type

The drive types are defaults from Veritas according to the white paper "Best
Practices: Migrating to or integrating new tape drive technologies in
existing libraries".

Both these drives use the same type of tapes.
My problem is that we use a scratch pool with a default media type of dlt3

It appears I will have to try to use vmchange to change the media type fore
some tapes in the scratch pool before a job starts.
I don't want our operators to have to do this (for a number of reasons).

Other suggestions???

Thanks
Stephen