Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backbone's NetVault versus NetBackup

2003-06-11 13:23:16
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backbone's NetVault versus NetBackup
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:23:16 -0700
Something else to consider: NBU does barely half of what it claims right
out of the box.  You'll need to become a scripting wizard or spend even
more money on add-on products (Bocada and Advanced Reporter come to
mind, not to mention Vertices and Vault).

~JK

ndmp-configuration
> can be done within the same gui.)
>                        - Support of all NDMP transfer models defined
(e.g.
> send unix/windows data to drive attached to filer)
>                        - easy device sharing with ndmp and
Unix/Windows in a
> SAN
>                        - Consolidation of incremental backups to a new
full
> backup
>                        - no multiplexing means no need to demultiplex
for
> faster restores,
>                        - ...
>
> > Media management is too simplistic (unless you are using barcodes ..
> > NetBackup v.4.5 is enterprise class backup software ...
>
> Yes, Media management seems to be simplistic however I never saw an
> enterprise installation without barcodes.
>
> I'm convinced that in large installations NetVault (especially version
7)
> doesn't give you more headache than you would get with NetBackup.
>
> Andreas Hohmann
>
> Diwega GmbH
> Birmensdorferstr. 24
> CH-8902 Urdorf
>
> Tel.  +41- (0)1 734 6644
> Fax. +41- (0)1 734 6645
> mailto:andreas.hohmann AT diwega DOT ch
> http://www.diwega.ch

Veritas
> or
> Legato; has number of database's and email plugins, full NDMP support.
>
> Cons: Media management is too simplistic (unless you are using
barcodes
> and
> single type of media AND not planning to change the pattern any time
> soon);
> lack of multistreaming and multiplexing (ability to send multiple
streams
> of
> data from one client and combine multiple streams of data from number
of
> clients to a single drive and lack of support for backup groups
(backup
> schedules for each client, not group of the clients)
>
> NetBackup v.4.5 is enterprise class backup software and has all the
above
> mentioned functionalities as well as options to backup to the multiple
> location, SAN backups, drive and library sharing, somewhat more
options
> for
> DR support.
>
> Even so it is slower in speed to NetVault, it has way more
functionality,
> but as you say its also much more expensive. And you need to learn how
> use it and troubleshoot it. For a beginner (Veritas) may seems to be
too
> complex, and some training classes are recommended (also $$).
>
> Bottom line, NetVault is better (in my opinion) than Backup Exec and
more
> than sufficient in management for 10 - 15 clients and single
(supported)
> library. If your environment will grow, move to or use SAN storage,
file
> systems and databases with a few hundred Gigs in size, than NetBackup
is
> what you really need.
>
> In any case I suggest you take a look at W. Curtis Preston's RFI for
> backup
> software http://www.backupcentral.com/rfi.html, select those questions
> that
> would apply to your environment. Than send them out to your local
sales
> reps
> for each company and see what they going to say.
>
> Regards,
>
> George Lavrov, MCSE
> glavrov AT mail DOT com

NetBackup