Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] off sitebackup Challange Help needed

2003-06-11 07:22:02
Subject: [Veritas-bu] off sitebackup Challange Help needed
From: bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com (Adametz, Bluejay)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:22:02 -0400
>    we are having around 20 Sun E220,5 Sun Netra, and
> half a dozen WIn2000server , which is presently being
> backup by a Netbackup datacenter v 3.4 & a quantum DLT
> on a same Lan segment,

How much total "stuff" are you backing up? There's a big difference between
15gb and 800gb when it comes to backup questions.

>   so for time being have to do it using above
> mentioned resources (i.e  single DAT-20/40 Gb drive
> ,Single Sun e220 server connected to central/mail site
> using a 6 MBPS wan link) so would like to know what
> are the options available in this scenerio ? and which
> one is the best (efficient /reliable ) ?

How many tape drives do you have at the central site?

Have you ruled out just duplicating your backups at the central site
(outside your backup window) and shipping the tapes to your alternate site?
"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes."

6mbps isn't much if you're backing up a lot of stuff - it's not even the
equivalent of a 10mbps Ethernet link. And I presume there's other traffic on
this link.

                                                - Bluejay Adametz

He who pulls his own weight, usually doesn't throw it around.