Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backbone's NetVault versus NetBackup

2003-06-11 02:24:17
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backbone's NetVault versus NetBackup
From: Andreas.Hohmann AT diwega DOT ch (Andreas Hohmann)
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 08:24:17 +0200
My few thoughts about this topic:

> ..lack of support for backup groups

NetVault7 supports backup groups, i.e. one policy for several clients (You're
right, this was one of the weaknesses of the product in version 6.5).

More BakBone Pros: - Excellent NDMP support (and all ndmp-configuration can be
done within the same gui.)
                         - Support of all NDMP transfer models defined (e.g.
send unix/windows data to drive attached to filer)
                         - easy device sharing with ndmp and Unix/Windows in a
SAN
                         - Consolidation of incremental backups to a new full
backup
                         - no multiplexing means no need to demultiplex for
faster restores,
                         - ...

> Media management is too simplistic (unless you are using barcodes ..
> NetBackup v.4.5 is enterprise class backup software ...

Yes, Media management seems to be simplistic however I never saw an enterprise
installation without barcodes.

I'm convinced that in large installations NetVault (especially version 7)
doesn't give you more headache than you would get with NetBackup.

Andreas Hohmann

Diwega GmbH
Birmensdorferstr. 24
CH-8902 Urdorf