Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] erase tapes

2003-06-06 11:03:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] erase tapes
From: stoffel AT lucent DOT com (John Stoffel)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2003 11:03:45 -0400
Tony> I am in the unenviable position of having to destroy backups.  I
Tony> was just wondering if there is a command line way in netbackup
Tony> to erase tapes in a robot.

Depending on the media and whether or not you want to be able to
re-use the media in the future.  You can get a Bulk Eraser, which is
just a device which projects a strong magnetic field.  This works for
DLT tapes, but not for LTO (and some others!) because they LTO tapes
depend on the factory written servo track on the media.

If you don't care about the tape afterwards, any tape can be bulk
erased.

Tony> I really don't want to write zeros to the tape drive and load
Tony> the tapes manually

You'll have to do this will some tapes if you want to re-use them.

John
   John Stoffel - Senior Unix Systems Administrator - Lucent Technologies
         stoffel AT lucent DOT com - http://www.lucent.com - 978-399-0479