Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Cleaning job, more info

2003-06-05 12:06:10
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Cleaning job, more info
From: CBallowe AT usg DOT com (Ballowe, Charles)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 11:06:10 -0500
Just as a point of note -- it's generally considered bad practice to
clean a drive more often than necessary. I assume the autoclean on the
library isn't frequency based, but rather based on sensors in the drive
that know how much buildup is on the heads or how far outside some
threshold the drive is reading and writing.

I know my tape drives need cleaning roughly every 240 hours of mount time.
They are DLT8000 drives. Even if they were running 24 hours/day, they
should not be cleaned once per day.

-charlie