Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP restore to Windows server

2003-05-28 14:18:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP restore to Windows server
From: ron AT linux DOT ca (Ron Lyman)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 14:18:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 28 May 2003, Kennedy, Jeffrey wrote:

> <snip>
>
> As for using NFS or CIFS to backup data on a filer there are 2 issues.
> One is overhead, which may or may not be an issue for some but it's
> definitely more than NDMP.  Second is snapshots.  If you use NDMP it
> will automatically take the snapshot for you to avoid open file issues.
> You can of course manually take a snapshot and back that up but I'm
> betting most people who backup over NFS or CIFS are not doing that.
>
> ~JK

I backup a filer using CIFS and it is the snapshot that is backed up.
There is an automatic snapshot every night at midnight, and the backup is
kicked off at 00:10.  \\netapp-bkup\snap$\nightly.0\share is backed up
without a problem.  Restorations to an alternate location (windows file
server)  have worked just fine with ACLs preserved.

Performance is not a big issue as there is very little use of the filer at
that time.  As well there is a gigabit ethernet segment installed
specifically for backing up.  For DRP purposes we decided that NDMP's
requirement of specific hardware was too limiting - we want to stand up a
generic windows file server and get our data online ASAP.

I wouldn't bet on what I think other people are doing, else I'd take you
up on that.  ;)

Ron Lyman
Network Support
Moen Incorporated