Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NDMP restore to Windows server

2003-05-28 12:44:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NDMP restore to Windows server
From: jkennedy AT qualcomm DOT com (Kennedy, Jeffrey)
Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 09:44:29 -0700
Using NDMP to backup requires using NDMP to restore, mostly.  As Bob
mentioned you can restore filer data to a Solaris machine using
'restore' (not tar, the filer uses BSD dump/restore) but if you're going
to go through hoops like that you might as well just restore to the
filer and map a share from the client.  Otherwise you would lose NT
ACL's if you had them.

As for using NFS or CIFS to backup data on a filer there are 2 issues.
One is overhead, which may or may not be an issue for some but it's
definitely more than NDMP.  Second is snapshots.  If you use NDMP it
will automatically take the snapshot for you to avoid open file issues.
You can of course manually take a snapshot and back that up but I'm
betting most people who backup over NFS or CIFS are not doing that.

~JK