Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Server is rebooting during backups

2003-05-27 10:39:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Server is rebooting during backups
From: JGlancey AT CNTUS.JNJ DOT COM (Glancey, John [NCSUS - NON J&J])
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:39:25 -0400

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3245D.C515A296

2-node Windows 2000 Advanced Server cluster, SAN attached with each node
backing up itself using SSO.  Running 3.41 Datacenter, patch 2.

We run the server active/active, however one node has begun rebooting in the
middle of backups.  It does fine through the local drives (C,D, system
state) but spontaneously reboots during the shared disk backup (home drives,
corporate shares).  Backups obviously die on that node with status 23 and
71.  When the resources fail over to the other node, backups run fine the
following evening.

2 questions:
1.  Anyone see this in their experience?
2.  When the backups died on the rebooting node, the tapes it was writing to
are stuck in the drive.  Resetting the drive does nothing, the tape
disappears from Device Monitor but comes back about 10 seconds later, the
library does nothing.  I cannot use robtest to move them as I get errors.
Any ideas on making NetBackup relinquish it's hold on that drive (say it's
'assigned').  When I try to run a job on the rebooted node, it tries to
mount the tapes sitting in the drives and hangs.

Thanks,

John Glancey
(610) 240-4140 (phone)
jglancey AT cntus.jnj DOT com
-

------_=_NextPart_001_01C3245D.C515A296

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2655.35">
<TITLE>Server is rebooting during backups</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2-node Windows 2000 Advanced Server =
cluster, SAN attached with each node backing up itself using SSO.&nbsp; =
Running 3.41 Datacenter, patch 2.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">We run the server active/active, =
however one node has begun rebooting in the middle of backups.&nbsp; It =
does fine through the local drives (C,D, system state) but =
spontaneously reboots during the shared disk backup (home drives, =
corporate shares).&nbsp; Backups obviously die on that node with status =
23 and 71.&nbsp; When the resources fail over to the other node, =
backups run fine the following evening.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2 questions:</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">1.&nbsp; Anyone see this in their =
experience?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">2.&nbsp; When the backups died on the =
rebooting node, the tapes it was writing to are stuck in the =
drive.&nbsp; Resetting the drive does nothing, the tape disappears from =
Device Monitor but comes back about 10 seconds later, the library does =
nothing.&nbsp; I cannot use robtest to move them as I get errors.&nbsp; =
Any ideas on making NetBackup relinquish it's hold on that drive (say =
it's 'assigned').&nbsp; When I try to run a job on the rebooted node, =
it tries to mount the tapes sitting in the drives and hangs.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks,</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">John Glancey</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">(610) 240-4140 (phone) </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">jglancey AT cntus.jnj DOT com</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2 FACE=3D"Arial">-</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C3245D.C515A296--