Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Win Xp excludes apparently ignored?!

2003-05-23 14:29:49
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Win Xp excludes apparently ignored?!
From: WTSmith AT maine DOT edu (Wayne T Smith)
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 14:29:49 -0400
I have a Windows XP client with 4.5MP4 sending data to a 4.5MP4 Solaris
master/media server.

Using the java admin console, I've set exclude entries (for all policies
and all schedules) for a number of files. The entries, at least in some
cases seem to be ignored.

For example, the exclude list contains, among other entries..

    *.tmp
    qmgr?.dat
    parent.lock
    *:\Documents and Settings\*\Local Settings\Temp*
    cache
    cache4

Yet on scheduled backups I receive a status code 1 with some files
matching the above listed unable to backup because "The process cannot
access the file".

For example,

    WRN - can't open file: C:\Documents and
Settings\scofield\Application
Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\bjk3kg6z.slt\parent.lock

    WRN - can't open file: C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr0.dat

    WRN - can't open file: C:\Documents and Settings\All
Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\qmgr1.dat

    WRN - can't open file: C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec
Shared\VirusDefs\20030522.004\0000NAV~.TMP (WIN32 5: Access is denied.)

Unrelated to excludes, I get ...

    WRN - Removable Storage Management: unable to export database (WIN32
21: The device is not ready.)

Anyone know how to handle either problem? (I don't get these on other
WinXP boxes).     cheers, wayne