Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Looking to backup data to Disk vs. Tape (DX30)

2003-05-22 10:49:21
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Looking to backup data to Disk vs. Tape (DX30)
From: SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com (Scott Jacobson)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 08:49:21 -0600

--=_144BEB6D.72134DCE

Eliott,

We are taking delivery on our first Quantum DX30 evaluation unit next
week and will probably migrate all day-to-day backups operations to
those systems using 6+ M2500's for archiving.

What I like about the DX30 is that with NetBackup, it emulates a P1000
tape library.

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has evaluated or
implemented the DX30 in their environment using NetBackup DataCenter.

Thanks,

Scott Jacobson
NetBackup Systems Administration
Data Retention and Storage Management
I. S. & T. Provo Operations
sjacobso AT novell DOT com
Desk Direct:   801-861-7668
Toll Free:        800-453-1267 Ext. 1-7668
Cell:                801-560-6891
www.novell.com

>>> "Donaldson, Mark" <Mark.Donaldson AT experianems DOT com> 5/22/2003
6:49:40 AM >>>

I've been backing up to disk for a while.  The disk storage unit shares
the
single master/media server that services my entire environment.  You
don't
need a special media server for this purpose but the media server has
have access to the disk, DAS, SAN, NAS or similar.

I use to for the frequent small backups that I do for my Oracle
archived
redo logs.  I have a script that wakes every four hours to duplicate
the
images from disk to tape, then expires the disk copy.  This aggregates
my
small backups & minimizes tape movement & delay.

The only problem I've had is that tape drives compress automatically
while
disks do not.  Client-side compression isn't that good & loads the CPU
too
much to use.  The images on disk, therefore, are full-sized.

HTH - M

We have been testing backup to disk, and we only have one master/media
server and it works fine. (also Win2K)

The only reason we are looking into disk-backup is because we have some
very
very slow backups and we want to keep them away from allocation tape
drives
and holding on to them for hours.

In general I think that backup to disk is too slow and unflexible
(depending
on your tapedrives and library)

Our media server is directly connected to the disk drives (via SAN). If
it
will work over LAN I don't know.

The only problem we have seen is that it can be a little difficult and
unflexible to manage the backups on disk.

/johnny