Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Changing hostname of master server

2003-05-14 09:02:06
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Changing hostname of master server
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:02:06 -0400

> Hoo boy, don't do this if you can at all avoid it.
> The last time I checked with Veritas on this it wasn't
> supported...

   Agreeed. And almost immediately, don't be too afraid to do it. I have
switched my Master Server off of a Media Server to a new system, and then
swapped out the other Media Server for a new one. I plan to do it again, too!
:7)
   My set-up was pretty simple -- two Solaris 2.6 Media Servers (one which was
also the Master Server), each with an L9 tape library attached -- so if your
situation has greater complexity, it may make this impossible.

> ...(or wasn't supported unless you paid for a
> Veritas contractor to do it).

   I called the Veritas support line and patiently let the guy tell me how the
sky was going to fall if I tried this -- and then he emailed me a list of the
steps to take. Give them a call and they'll probably tell you. (I know it's
cowardly, but *I* am not going to be the person who gives you the rope to hang
yourself.)

> From what I understand NBU integrates the hostname into itself is
> such a way that it's very difficult to know where it is and what
> kind of fall out can result from this change.

   That's true enough. Roughly speaking, you pretend to have a server failure
and then "recover" onto the new server.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt