Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Types

2003-05-13 23:11:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Types
From: pwinkeler AT pbnj-solutions DOT com (Paul Winkeler)
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 23:11:03 -0400
The T9940B drives I last installed were rated at writing 200GB to a
cartridge (not counting compression).  That gets you to less fifty cents per
GigaByte!

As for tape drive speed, if you are going to work with those theoretical
upper limits, you'd better have high speed HBA's in a media server with lots
of physical memory for buffering.  Better yet, make sure those HBA's are
spread across the internal busses which connect into the machine's backplane
or you'll be saturating them...  Getting non-local data into the media
server at those speeds requires switched gigabit for sure; where are you
going to put all those NICs?

What I am trying to tell you is that there is lot more to looking at drive
cost to look at when building these environments.  At the prices STK charges
for its T9940 drives, you can pop for a few cheaper drives and another media
server license on a second machine!

www.pbnj-solutions.com IT Solutions That Stick
(216) 533-5708