Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Media Types

2003-05-13 21:04:37
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Media Types
From: Quarantine AT GSCCCA DOT ORG (Quarantine)
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 21:04:37 -0400
I don't think you saw my point.  I asserting that you can't dismiss a drive
type based solely on how many hours per day you'll be using it.  That just
doesn't make sense.

There simply are more constraints than time and money.  You have to consider
things like support quality and availability, drive and media stability (are
they going to have a lot of problems), compatibility with existing
infrastructure (does it work with your existing library or the one you want
to purchase, what interfaces are available), form factor for offsite
storage, and technology age and stability.  I'm sure the subscribers to this
list could easily add many items to this list.  Ignoring everything other
than time and money is oversimplifying a complex situation.  I maintain you
have to use business and technological sense to make good decisions in the
types of environments in which NBU runs.

Matt