Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shell scripts or commands within bp[start|end]_notify scripts?

2003-05-07 10:56:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shell scripts or commands within bp[start|end]_notify scripts?
From: William.Enestvedt AT jwu DOT edu (William Enestvedt)
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 10:56:45 -0400
This is mostly a style question: in the bpstart_notify & bpend_norify scripts,
is it better simply to point to another shell script written by someone else --
e.g., an Oracle startup script -- or to reproduce the actual commands within
the NBU script?
   I run NBU 3.4 on Solaris, and the DBAs keep adding and deleting Oracle
database instances. While it's nice that they change the /etc/init.d/dbstart &
dbshut scripts to ensure that their database are handled neatly on system boot
and shut-down, I would really like it if they'd let me know so I can change the
bpstart_notify & bpend_notify scripts to match. [Yes, I know it's a people
issue and not a technical one, but bear with me.] Currently, I simply include
all the same lines as the /etc/init.d scripts that the DBAs modify, but
wouldn't I remove a source of possible error by just including the one line
"/etc/init.d/dbstart >> /dev/null" in my bpend_notify script?
   Thanks to anyone who will clobber some common sense into me on this.
-wde
--
Will Enestvedt
UNIX System Administrator