Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Re:To FP or not to FP?

2003-05-08 07:37:55
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Re:To FP or not to FP?
From: KELCZ AT coj DOT net (Mike Kelczewski)
Date: Thu, 08 May 2003 07:37:55 -0400

--=_257AAC88.57375190

Paul,
  I to liked the new features in FP3 so decided to install it as soon as I =
could get a hold of the media.  One major dislike is apparently they are =
not releasing FP's at the same time as they are MP's.  It was my understand=
ing that the FP's would be released with the MP's, you just needed to make =
sure that you stayed in your chosen path.  But MP4 is out and they are =
saying that FP4 will not be out until later this month or next.
=20
Even though it looks and acts like a full install, it appeared to look =
just like an upgrade when I did it.  Note that I'm not running any =
clustered machines but I do have 1 - 2K SAN Master and 5 - 2K SAN Media =
servers and 1- Solaris SAN Media server with 2 P3000 Libraries.
=20
I upgraded the master from 4.5 MP2 to FP3 first then I upgraded the Media =
servers when I could after that( Solaris Media server is still at 4.5 =
MP2).  Did not have to redefine anything.  I did notice either in an =
earlier mailing here or on Veritas's site that it had been reported that =
OTM was not removed when FP3 installs VSP (replaces OTM) and that you have =
to manually remove OTM from the system.  I have not investigated this yet. =
 Also a word of caution is that now Veritas is using the error code 150 in =
FP3 a lot more than just administrative canceled.  It will also show up if =
any authorized Netbackup process terminates a backup, which has taken some =
retaining of the Operators in what to look for before restarting a failed =
backup.  When I first  noticed this I thought it was a bug and I logged a =
call, but was told it was reproducible and was performing as planned.
=20
=20
=20
Michael Kelczewski
Senior Application Analyst - Computer Operations
City of Jacksonville
Information Technologies Division
220 E. Bay St., Suite 200
City HAll Annex
Jacksonville, FL  32202
904-630-1079,   Fax 904-630-2764
kelcz AT coj DOT net

--=_257AAC88.57375190

<HTML><HEAD>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 5.50.4807.2300" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 2px; FONT: 10pt Times New Roman; MARGIN-LEFT: =
2px">
<DIV>Paul,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;I to liked the new features in FP3 so decided to install =
it as=20
soon as I could get a hold of the media.&nbsp; One major dislike is =
apparently=20
they are not releasing FP's at the same time&nbsp;as they are MP's.&nbsp; =
It was=20
my understanding that the FP's would be released with the MP's, you just =
needed=20
to make sure that you stayed in your chosen path.&nbsp; But MP4 is out and =
they=20
are saying that FP4 will not be out until later this month or next.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Even though it looks and acts like a full install, it appeared to =
look just=20
like an upgrade when I did it.&nbsp; Note that I'm not running any =
clustered=20
machines but I do have 1 - 2K SAN Master and 5 -&nbsp;2K SAN Media servers =
and=20
1- Solaris SAN Media server with 2 P3000 Libraries.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I upgraded the master from 4.5 MP2 to FP3 first then I upgraded the =
Media=20
servers when I could after that( Solaris Media server is still at 4.5=20
MP2).&nbsp; Did not have to redefine anything.&nbsp; I did notice either =
in an=20
earlier mailing here or on Veritas's site that it had been reported that =
OTM was=20
not removed when FP3 installs VSP (replaces OTM) and that you have to =
manually=20
remove OTM from the system.&nbsp; I have not investigated this yet.&nbsp; =
Also a=20
word of caution is that now Veritas is using the error code 150 in FP3 a =
lot=20
more than just administrative canceled.&nbsp; It will also show up if =
any=20
authorized Netbackup process terminates a backup, which has taken some =
retaining=20
of the Operators in what to look for before restarting a failed backup.&nbs=
p;=20
When I first&nbsp; noticed this I thought it was a bug and I logged a =
call, but=20
was told it was reproducible and was performing as planned.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Michael Kelczewski<BR>Senior Application Analyst - Computer=20
Operations<BR>City of Jacksonville<BR>Information Technologies Division<BR>=
220=20
E. Bay St., Suite 200<BR>City HAll Annex<BR>Jacksonville, FL&nbsp;=20
32202<BR>904-630-1079,&nbsp;&nbsp; Fax 904-630-2764<BR><A=20
href=3D"mailto:kelcz AT coj DOT net">kelcz AT coj DOT
net</A></DIV></BODY></HTML>

--=_257AAC88.57375190--