Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Skyrocketing Tape Usage

2003-05-06 00:13:05
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Skyrocketing Tape Usage
From: WTSmith AT Maine DOT edu (Wayne Smith)
Date: Tue, 06 May 2003 00:13:05 -0400
Tim Martino wrote, in part:
> We are running NetBackup Datacenter in a pure Windows 2k environment.  Does
> anyone have a way to generate reports on why the tapes are filling more and
> more quickly, ...

To understand "more", you need to know what "was".  Since you probably
haven't recorded what "was", the approach is hopeless, IMHO.

If you're backing up too much, you must cut out some of the backup data.

> we have excluded all we can

A great start!  :-)   If you really have done this, then the only
recourses are to backup what's important less frequently and to keep the
backups for less time.  Examples:

* If incrementals are smaller than full backups, delay full backups.
Instead of weekly fulls, run monthly fulls with weekly cumulatives and
daily non-cummulative incrementals.

* Lower retention levels. If you keep backups 10 weeks, only keep them
for 3 weeks.

* Don't mix various retention levels on a tape.

* If you do daily backups, omit 3 or 4 of them.

* Calculate with client(s) have most of the data/tapes.  Worry about
them and forget the rest.

* If some client machines are "away" from your media server, don't
duplicate/vault the backup images.

* If you have a gazillion desktops reconsider what is backed up and why.
Since the system object can be 200+megs, consider omitting it from most
backups.

If you can implement any of these suggestions, you probably don't
understand the recovery requirements of your customers.  If you can't,
then it's fairly easy to calculate the amount of data that must come in
and resources to handle it, isn't it?

> and $$ limitations have us going
> out to our datacenter more than once a week rather than purchasing another
> robot.

Sorry, I don't understand "going out to our datacenter".

> I would like so see some of the larger files that are being backed
> up if there is a way to filter by size.

This does not compute with the above "we have excluded all we can".

Sorry this is not much, but we don't have much to work with.  If you're
new to NBU/DC, maybe a knowledgeable consultant could help you for a day
or two ... there appear to be several hanging out on this list, as well
as at Veritas.

Hope this helps, wayne